Friday, February 24, 2012

Something Extraordinary

Last night I went to a Women's Conference for our Stake, and the theme was "Something Extraordinary" It was all about the book "Daughters in my Kingdom" which you can read here if you're interested. 
The speakers were 'surprise' speakers...so nobody knew who they were until we got there.  They had asked one woman from each of the wards in our stake, to speak on what chapter they would add to the book, if they could.
 
It started at 7pm...so at first I wasn't sure if I wanted to go, because the kids go to bed between 7:30 and 8, and I enjoy putting them to bed at nights, and being the first person they see in the morning as well.
I'm so glad one of my friends invited me to go with her, because I had a wonderfully uplifting evening!

They had a special Stake choir who sang "Walk tall you're a Daughter of God" ...and it brought me to tears :)  Amazing!  Here's a link to that song (you can download it for free if you want to hear it on repeat all day long as I have today) :)

http://broadcast.lds.org/yw/selected/YWSelected_15_WalkTallYoureADaughterOfGod_eng.mp3

They also sang "Miracles" which I had never heard before, and which I loved!

Each speaker was inspiring, and unique in what they thought they could add to the book.  I took some notes, and wanted to share them...

I didn't write down who said what...so it'll just be a collection of quotes, thoughts and experiences.

Bishop Arrington quoted a talk given by President Thomas S. Monson, which I loved...he said:

"Rather than being judgmental and critical of each other, may we have the pure love of Christ for our fellow travelers in this journey through life. May we recognize that each one is doing her best to deal with the challenges which come her way, and may we strive to do our best to help out." -General Relief Society Meeting 2010.

'Forgiven'

He also talked about how important it is for us to use our strenghts to help us improve ourselves, instead of focusing on our weaknesses.

He talked about our 'inclinations to do good' and how we should follow those promptings.


Another of the sisters quoted Proverbs 31:10-31 I hadn't read that in a long time...and I'm glad I did!

A lot of the speakers talked about our attitudes.  Specifically during hard times...

One of the sisters who stood out to me, was a sister who lost her 21 year old daughter after battling with cancer for 3 years...She spoke about learning to have a happy attitude, and the difference it made in her life.  She also quoted Alma 36:3.  What a great example she is!

And one of my favorite quotes of the night was given by another sister who spoke about how we are all needed in the Kingdom of God, regardless of where we are in our life, regardless of status, race, sphere of influence etc...

 "If you judge people, you have no time to love them" -Mother Teresa

And of course, our Stake President spoke, and reminded us of the importance to go to the temple.  He said "Your children will  never be safer, than when you and your husband are at the temple" 

When I got home from the meeting, the house was clean, and everyone was asleep!  Do I have the best husband or what? 
This morning the kids told me all about the fun night they had with dad...Their favorite?  The pillow fight! :)  It has become a nightly thing...and I need to take a picture of it, because they have so much fun.


What else can be said?  I hope I can use these wise words to better myself, and to remember how truly blessed I am.

No comments: